Sunday, June 3, 2007

Past Week

It has been really difficult to get to a computer for any length of time so that I can post on my blog. We are still figuring out if we can get connected to the Internet at our flat, then I would be able to do this daily. In the meantime, here is an update.

We have done so much. I will start with work. I work at a Real Estate Letting and Sales company called Champions. I work hand-in-hand with Charlie Champion himself, the owner of the company. We have only recently gone into Estate Sales, and thus I am helping Charlie and the company by calling all of the landlords for the properties being let. In calling them, I am checking how they are and if they have any properties available for sale. It is a great experience, and when every once in a while I run into an American voice, it is a great break. The people in the office are absolutely wonderful. They will be taking me on a few viewings in the near future, so that should be great. I work right next to Hyde Park, Prince Albert Hall, the Science Museum, the Victoria and Albert Museum, and the Natural History Museum. During my lunch breaks, I am able to grab a quick bite and then head to a museum for a little bit. The amount of tourists is absolutely unheard of though. Its at least 10 times as busy as it was during the winter months. Stopped by the Natural History museum. It was not as impressive. The big dinosaur is a replica of the one in the Carnegie Mellon History museum in Pittsburgh, so that was kind of a turn off, as I have seen the actual one.

I am finding a lot of hatred and bad talk about Americans in general. Every local I have to fight the American stereotype that we have created. Our governmental policies are viewed as us. Not to mention the corporate policy which invades other countries. Fighting against this has been fun, but an uphill battle.

This weekend we went to the London Aquarium, which was really cool. They had a huge shark tank which was neat, but they don't feed the sharks everyday...boo. We also went to Regent Park and looked at the Queen Mary's Gardens section, which is absolutely amazing. There are tons of roses over a 17 acre area. It is a spectacle at the least. Saturday, we ventured to a sports store called Lillywhites, purchased some footballs (not the American Football) and hung out with tons of people in Hyde Park and Kensington gardens for the day. It was outstanding. Today is dedicated to homework, but I might try to hop on the tube afterwards and see something random. Open a tourist book up to a random page and just go. More to come tomorrow!!



And additionally, I have found a growing desire to start a sustainable developed and green building company. As forward London is in many ways, it is also extremely behind in others. Due to the excess cash and continuing development/redevelopment of properties in the United States, I believe that it is possible to really make an impact. I have started gathering information to create a business plan.

2 comments:

Don Anderson Incorporated said...

Kalen - all I do is smile while I read your experiences. Keep them coming. Is there a way for you to save your posts for later in life. I think you will look back on this with very fond memories.

Unknown said...

Have you read in Bus 2.0 latest issue about the G-Sky company out of Canada??? That concept sounds very interesting!