Sunday, June 24, 2007

Wales


Time of my life.

We left on Friday midday, and besides my food taking about 30 minutes to get out at the train station, and thus me having to just get refunded, the train ride was easy to Swansea, Wales. Here is where the adventure began. Me and two other students were unable to get on the train because it was about double the capasity. We hopped in a cab (paid for by the train company of course), and met our train down several stops. The ultimate rush. We had no clue where we were or if we were going the right direction.



Once we finally got there, we settled in for the evening. First thing in the morning we broke up into groups of 10. First up for my group was a 7+ mile hike along a coastal path with amaizng cliffs. We were walking through fields of sheep and cattle, and standing about 3 feet away from 200 foot cliffs. The views were spectacular. My group actually saved a sheeps life as well. It was caught between a stone wall and barbed wire fence. We pulled it through the top and got it back with its other friends.

The afternoon was scheduled for cayaking. We got in the boats, and I immediately knew this was not going to be fun. I barely was able to fit in the boats. I was going to give it a shot no matter what, and headed out with the group. Because of my size and not being able to spred my legs at all, my balance was askew and I tipped over into the water several times (we were wearing wet suits of course, and it actually felt pretty good). I was able to change cayaks with the guide, and enjoyed the trip despite being EXTREMELY uncomfortable. The evening came, and we enjoyed playing guitar and starting a dance party at the facilites.



Morning brought the most exciting aspect of the entire trip to Wales. Something that I had never even heard of before being introduced to it there. Coasteering! It is a combination of swiming, hiking, cliff jumping, and exploring the coastal terrain. So much fun to be had. We had helmets, floatation devices, and wetsuits. The best part was an area called the toilet bowl. Essentially the swells in this area carry you up and down about ten feet and you sit limp in a little cove allowing the waves to hit you.



All in all a great time in Wales this weekend!

6 comments:

Ladee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ladee said...

I bet that this area was beautiful. How did the group get from London to Wales? What does the coast look like and the land? Were the guides locals? Tell me about the weather.

Don Anderson Incorporated said...

Glad to hear you had quite the adventure. Isn't travel fun? Keep up the great posts.

Unknown said...

coasteering...never heard of it before. I'd love to offer it to our young adventurous groups! What a blast!!!

Ladee said...

Thanks for adding the pictures. This adds sooooo much to the story. Glad to see you playing the guitar!

Ladee said...

Thanks for adding the pictures. This adds sooooo much to the story. Glad to see you playing the guitar!